10 Tips on How to Get a Gig at a Startup
Part of their mission is to present a traveling job fair to find talent to staff the the dynamic companies that are looking for new ways to think, organize and build apps. Tarek Pertew, Cofounder of Wakefield Media, started the day off by presenting these tips for landing a gig at a start-up:
1. Go with the familiar.
- Do what you know
2. Skip the blind date.
- Know who they are and what they do before you talk to them.
3. Don’t forget to tip.
- Provide your own thoughts
- be positive
4. Link outside the box.
- web presence //find your medium and be a part of it.
- be big in at least one social media
5. Talk to strangers // Its a small world get to know it.
- The Honest Company Jessica Alba
6. Take one a day.
- Specific and attainable goals
- Pick a person a day
7. Stack the deck
- Resume – easy to read
- Look different – presenter plopped a thumb print on his b-card
- Meetups on Project managment
- learn in the morning (find the best time of day for you to learm)
9. Bookmark these pages
10. Ditch the tie and perfect your pingpong serve
- interviewing is different
Bonus: Be patient and follow up.
- Thank you note
- how you doing?
- Great to hear you passed 10k down loads
What goes around comes around. If your community has silicon in its nick name, you will probably hear from them soon.